Volastra Therapeutics, Inc. is a biotechnology company based in New York City, formed from the laboratory of Dr. Lewis Cantley, along with Drs. Olivier Elemento and Samuel Bakhoum. Volastra is dedicated to the discovery and development of treatments for patients with cancer. The Company’s therapies will target novel pathways and apply insights gained from its scientific founders into chromosomal instability (CIN) and its clear association with the formation, progression, and maintenance of disease. Our lead program, a KIF18A inhibitor, is on track to enter the clinic in the second half of 2023 for patients with advanced cancer.
Volastra has raised funding from top US and European venture firms, including Vida, Polaris, Droia, and Arch. Volastra recently announced a multi-year up to $1.1B drug discovery collaboration with Bristol Myers Squibb leveraging Volastra’s proprietary CINtech platform to identify CIN-related targets. In addition, Volastra has a partnership with Microsoft to develop AI technologies for the interrogation of CIN. The company has a world class advisory board including two Nobel Laureates as well as a highly experienced senior leadership team. The company operates out of 15,000 square feet of office and state-of-the-art laboratory space in West Harlem, New York City, within easy traveling distance of Columbia, Cornell, Memorial Sloan Kettering, and most other areas of the city, Westchester County, and New Jersey.
Volastra is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual who will be responsible for supporting cross-functional drug development activities to achieve the company’s scientific and strategic goals. The Associate Director/Director, Program Management will partner with program and functional leaders and work in close collaboration with the Development Team, sub-teams and co-development partners to advance the company’s R&D portfolio, shape and execute the project and portfolio strategies through the project lifecycle. The successful candidate displays a diverse range of interpersonal skills, has effective communication, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills, coupled with enthusiasm, motivation, and ability to lead and collaborate within teams. The role reports to and will work closely with the VP, Development Leadership.
This is an exciting opportunity for a qualified candidate to join the dedicated and talented team at Volastra in support of the company’s growth and development efforts. Volastra is a lean team of dedicated individuals working to advance therapies for patients with advanced cancer. As such, the individual will have the opportunity to work on projects and take on responsibilities that may fall outside of his/her scope of work.
- Work in coordination with the Development Lead as well as scientific and functional leads to develop and maintain high-quality, integrated project plans and timelines that align with overall program and corporate strategy and drive communication, scenario planning and decision making
- Facilitate effective, science-based business decisions through scenario planning, highlighting potential downstream impacts of strategic decision making (including resource allocation, team capacity, risk and overall portfolio management)
- Facilitate the identification, management and communication of key program risks and their associated mitigation and contingency plans
- Work collaboratively and cross-functionally to coordinate, influence and manage efforts to ensure seamless execution of the global development strategy
- Provide program and project management support for key functional activities including functional sub-team and working group meeting support, regulatory submission planning and management of external contractors/vendors as indicated
- In partnership with the Development Team prepare a Strategic Development Plan to govern program strategy
- Develop and coordinate ongoing resource planning across functions to ensure adequate resources are applied to the project at any given time
- Leverage strong project and organizational knowledge, leadership and facilitation skills to optimize team meetings and facilitate effective governance and decision making
- Develop and implement stage appropriate and value-added processes, best practices and tools (integrated timelines, TPPs, stage gate process, governance, core & sub team processes) to increase efficiency and consistency of global product development and team processes/deliverables
- Advance program and alliance management best practices and contribute to the operational excellence of Volastra with a focus on continuous improvement
- Build and leverage relationships and networks and contribute to fostering high-performing and high functioning teams through team norms and operating principles; proactively identify opportunities and removing obstacles to drive business results
- Manage the scientific communications plans for the project(s) and integrate with overall corporate communications plan
- Prepare monthly progress reports and ad hoc reports as required
- Support planning and integration of early research efforts in support of the company pipeline and strategic goals
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree (BSc) required; advanced degree (MSc, PhD, PharmD) preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry, with experience managing cross-functional drug development programs
- Drug development knowledge with understanding of functions relevant to advancing the program, such as Research, Preclinical, Clinical, Manufacturing, Regulatory and Commercial
- Excellent business acumen, demonstrated ability to align teams to strategy to achieve business and project objectives
- Experience leading and facilitating project team meetings, cross-functional communication and decision making, and ensuring ongoing alignment with internal/external stakeholders
- A proactive and strategic thinker, with strong facilitation, problem-solving and issue resolution skills
- Highly collaborative with outstanding communication and relationship management skills, high emotional intelligence
- Adaptive leadership style adept at influencing teams without formal authority and ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a highly matrixed global organization
- PMP credential and experience with latest PM tools, software and processes is valued
- Oncology drug development experience and prior experience working with external consultants/vendors is desirable
- Job Location: New York City, hybrid