Senior Manager, Commercial Development and Market Intelligence
Location: New York, New York, United States
Volastra Therapeutics, Inc. is a clinical stage oncology biotechnology company based in New York City. Founded by Lewis Cantley, Samuel Bakhoum and Olivier Elemento, Volastra is focused on developing therapeutics that exploit chromosomal instability (CIN) as a unique vulnerability in cancer. The company has grown since its founding in 2019 and now supports ongoing discovery efforts as well as a growing clinical organization.
Volastra most advanced pipeline medicines are 2 distinct inhibitors of KIF18A, a novel therapeutic target. The first medicine, VLS-1488 was internally discovered and is currently in Phase I for the treatment of advanced cancers. The second KIF18A inhibitor is sovilnesib, a clinical stage KIF18A inhibitor licensed from Amgen in February 2023 and for which the company is in the process of initiating in Q1 2024.
Volastra is financed by top US and European venture firms, including Arch Ventures, Polaris, Vida, Droia, Catalio as well as from strategic investor Eli Lilly. In addition to venture funding, Volastra has a multi-year drug discovery collaboration with Bristol Myers Squibb and a biomarker discovery partnership with Microsoft to use artificial intelligence to measure chromosomal instability. The company has a highly experienced senior leadership team and a world class advisory board.
The company operates out of office and laboratory space in West Harlem, New York City, within easy traveling distance of most areas of the city, Westchester County, and New Jersey. Please visit www.volastratx.com for more information.
The Senior Manager, Commercial Development and Market Intelligence will report to the Chief Business Officer/ Head of Operations. We are seeking a dynamic individual to drive our market intelligence and commercial strategy. This role is pivotal in shaping the success of our oncology therapeutics by leading market research, competitive analysis, and prioritizing indications for life cycle development.
Individuals who are self-motivated, enthusiastic team players with a passion for playing a key role in the development of life-saving medicines are encouraged to apply.
The person will work with internal and external team members to meet Company timelines and objectives. Responsibilities include but are not limited to forecasting, market research, competitive intelligence, indication prioritization and commercial assessment.
Volastra is a fast-paced biotech company of passionate employees, and there is substantial opportunity for the ideal candidate to grow and develop with the organization. Individuals will have the opportunity to work on projects and take on responsibilities that may fall outside their immediate scope of work.
This position, centered in NYC, anticipates a predominant in-office presence for optimal collaboration and engagement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to quickly synthesize data and insights to develop a commercial assessment informed by secondary data, market research, and other relevant data sources
- Ability to plan and conduct high level and in-depth market research to identify trends, opportunities, and challenges across various oncology indications and other
- Lead competitive intelligence efforts to analyze competitors' activities, product pipelines, and market positioning, while ensuring continuous enhancement and maintenance of the CI database
- Develop and maintain epidemiology-based revenue forecasting models to project commercial potential and market trends, product performance, and potential revenue streams
- Collaborate with the clinical development team to prioritize and recommend strategic therapeutic indications for the life cycle development of our oncology therapeutics, integrating market insights and clinical expertise
- Provide analytical support for key business decisions, including investment strategies, partnerships, and resource allocation
- Respond to ad hoc requests for analytics and business intelligence from senior leadership and investors.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements within the commercial development and analytics function, contributing to the overall efficiency of operations.
- Develop materials to communicate company value externally to audiences including existing investors, potential investors, and partners.
- Minimum of 4+ years of progressive experience in roles related to business analytics, commercial development, or market strategy within the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Proven experience in conducting comprehensive market research and developing robust forecasting models.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex analyses and insights to diverse audiences.
- Strong PowerPoint skills which showcase an ability to present complex and diverse information sets into visual and easy to understand slides.
- Track record of successful collaboration with cross-functional teams, including executives, operations, and R&D, to align commercial initiatives with overall business goals
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter, establish/enhance reporting/analytic procedures, and improve operational efficiency.
- Preferred 2-3 years of experience working in life science consulting and/or within a mid to large sized pharmaceutical company in a commercial strategy or analytics-related function.
- Experience working in a VC-backed biotech start-up or scale-up company environment would be highly advantageous.
- Familiarity with emerging trends and market dynamics and their potential impact on biotech companies. (e.g. IRA, health economics and outcomes, emerging technologies and tools, etc.)
- Active engagement in industry networks, conferences, and professional associations, demonstrating a commitment to staying informed about the latest industry trends and developments.
Approximately $135,000 to $175,000 per year, which may vary depending on qualifications, experience and ultimate leveling.